Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Transition to School

It is important for us parents to be interested in our children's education and make them feel our full support. We have to make sure that they are physically and mentally prepared because the experience and environment is new to them and could be overwhelming and stressful. 
Transitions are not easy. I was worried about how my son will cope with the lectures and how he will face the world beyond. I tried to teach him in advance. I started when he was 2. I taught him the proper handling of pencil, how to draw and trace different lines and shapes. I bought him crayons and coloring books and let him shade by himself. I taught him the alphabet with the help of this friendly site Starfall; which I also shared on my previous post Homeschool Reading Program.  
When my son first entered school June of 2012, his teacher noticed that he can actually write his name. He already knows the alphabet, basic shapes and different colors so he was accelerated from Kinder to Prep. He's actually doing great in class. In fact, he turned to be the 2nd most excellent in class right after their preceding examinations. Bravo brainy youngster!

Every day gets more challenging for us  because my time is skimpy. I also need to go to school, and I honestly feel guilty for not being there all the time. As much as I want to, I don't have a choice, I need to attend my class as well. 
They had a quiz last time and the result was as I expected. He got a low grade. :( I spent weekend coaching him. I forced myself to teach him everything he needs to know in a short period of time before the periodical exam. I want him to get good grades of course but I don't want put too much pressure on him. I needed to think of an effective strategy to get his attention so he would cooperate and I tried to make every phase comprehensible for him. 


I know it would be hard at first; but it gets easier as we often do skill builders.  At the outset he was excited then he tried to divert his attention afterwards. It was difficult to cut out his diversions. Maybe he was worn out with the lessons so I gave him time to play and rest. We've just had a recap of what we have discussed before he went to sleep..
Tomorrow would be his first periodic exam and I’m no longer worried. I'm confident that he can do it! Not expecting too much though. Whatever would be the outcome , I'm just here to give him my full support. I have seen his effort, that's enough for me.I'm sooo proud of him..

I LOVE YOU SON... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment